Hors d'oeuvres # 016
Caesar’s Hors d’oeuvres--The Powerful and Maybe forgotten American Idioms
- BABES IN THE WOODS: Innocent and inexperienced persons:--"In that difficult and competitive business the Hunts are like two babies in the woods."
- BABY GRAND: A small grand piano:--"If we can sell our old upright piano, we shall buy a new baby grand."
- BACK NUMBER: Something out of date, out of fashion:--"Among so many young people on the floor he certainly felt as a bad number."
- BACK OUT: Dessert a cause, fail to fulfill a promise or obligation:--"Although he tried to backup out of the agreement, the court made finally him fulfill all its terms."
- BACK TALK: Impertinence, an impudent reply:--"She told the man that she would tolerate no back talk from him."
- BACK THE WRONG HORSE: Support one that ultimately loses: --"In voting for Smith, you certainly backed the wrong horse, since he lost by 10,000 votes."
- BACK, TURN ONE'S BACK ON: Ignore,refuse to help, desert:--"Being a good Christian,she did not turn her back on her neighbors when they needed help."
- BAD, IN BAD: In disgrace, disfavor:--"John is is bad with his boss for coming late to work everyday."
- BAG AND BAGGAGE: With all one's portable belongings:--"They arrive at our house bag and baggage , at one o'clock in the morning."
- BAG, IN THE BAG: Successfully settled or arranged:--"Judging by the enthusiastic reception given him everywhere, they felt that his election was in the bag."
Work in progress...